Strathclyde Windscreens pride ourselves on providing some of the best quality van conversions in the market. Unsurprisingly, a lot of our customers enquire about tinted windscreens too, so we thought we take a moment to explain the basics.
Why should I consider tinted glass?
- UV Protection – We all know about the increased risk of cancer and skin damage caused by exposure to UV rays. So if you spend any length of time in your car, it is well worth considering that extra level of protection that tinted glass can provided.
- Security – Car theft is so often opportunistic, just a spur of the moment temptation can lead to a car break in or theft. So if you can obscure the view to what you have inside your car the temptation is reduced, so the risk will be too.
- Fade reduction – Your car is a valuable asset, the better condition you can maintain your car in, the greater the value. But also, you may leave items of value inside your car and anything can suffer the fading effects of the sun.
- Heat protection – this requires little to no explanation! Who hasn’t had the unpleasantness of a boiling hot car in summer? (If you have leather interior it can be even worse!) The great thing about the heat reduction provided by tinted glass, is that you will also need to use the AC less to cool your car too, which will provide both cost and environmental savings.
- Privacy – pretty self explanatory, we’ve all had moments where we wished we were less visible 😉
Are their laws or restrictions around tinted windscreens?
Indeed, yes, there are.
If the vehicle was first used on or after 1 April 1985 (this will be most cars)
The front windscreen must allow a minimum of 75% light through.
The front side windows must allow a minimum of 70% light through.
If the vehicle was first used before 1 April 1985
Both the front windscreen and front side windows must allow through a minimum of 70% light.
Of course, all services provided by Strathclyde will be up to legal and regulatory standards, so we can give you advise on what is possible.
So if you looking for a vehicle converter, or you have any questions about the process at all we are available to chat!
Call us: 01698 286428 | 24 hours a day / 365 days a year or email: firstname.lastname@example.org