Just when you were hoping that the worst of the winter weather was behind us… 2018 throws up some late February snow! And we’re due to have minus degree temperatures and some very dangerous driving conditions on and off into early March! Definitely worth taking a few steps to prepare for the worst!
So what can you do?
- Depending on your journey, check your route before you leave the house and make an alternative one if you know certain roads are more likely to be difficult. If you can stick to main roads.
- Leave more time for your journey, so you can drive slowly and not be tempted to put your foot down.
- Be prepared for de-icing your windscreen and you may even need to de-ice your lock and handles! Make super your screen wash is filled up, it helps protect against frosting/icing up. Spend a bit extra on screen wash in winter, as some of the better brands prevent freezing even to -30. Remember don’t pour boiling water on your windscreen, this can cause rapid expansion of the glass and cause cracking. This will leave your glass more vulnerable to chips and cracks.
- Remember your wipers! Don’t have auto-wipe switched on as if your screen is frozen and your wipers stuck to them, your wiper fuse can blow when you turn on the ignition. Wait for your windscreen to unfreeze first.
- Check your tyre tread. You do NOT want to attempt ice and snow driving conditions with bald tyres. You can always consider snow socks and chains in very extreme weather.
- Have an emergency kit in your car (blanket, non-perishable food, water, torch, hazard sign, shovel, first aid kit, jump leads, de-icer, phone charger, map, a bit of old carpet to help give traction to snow spinning wheels and phone numbers! )- Save our number along with breakdown and insurance details, in case of windscreen damage emergencies too. Windscreens are more vulnerable in extreme weather and we can often do roadside repairs. We carry many windscreens models in stock, so our replacements can often happen very quickly also.
Remember, Strathclyde Windscreens’ phone line is open 24/7 +44 808 181 0006.